Settle in, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy your stay here at Shelly's. The pie is great, the coffee pot is always on and soon you will find this to be the best place in town. SOON TO BE AMERICA'S MOST READ BLOG

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Thousands of Immigrants Protest In Minnesota

Under threatening skies, countless thousands of Scandinavian-Americans, Irish-Americans, and a few German-Americans walked down Hennepin Avenue in Minneapolis protesting immigration laws that may have left a few relatives back in the old country.

The angry marchers, mostly senior citizens, came from as far away as Dubuque, Iowa and Fond-de-Lac Wisconsin.

Bob Swenson a marcher from Deer River, Mn,. told reporters of RightWing News, Ink, that younger game wardens have been unusually mean towards residents whose ancestry go back to Sweden, demanding they not catch over their limit of Walleye.

"Just how are ve to survive up nort' if we can't eat vhat is in de lake," Swenson said. "Sure ve were here before dem young fellers were by golly, but I tink de vant us to go an starve."

Signs were seen along the parade route with phrases like, "We won't go back to Norway, were here, we ain't gay or nothin like that, so leave us alone by golly."

Dan O'kelly, whose grandparents came here from Ireland over a hundred years ago said it was a multicultural thing. "We seen beer, brats, Swedish meatballs and lots of Folgers Coffee being sold along the parade route."

Along with tears of sadness, the seniors who, for the most part, forgot what they were protesting about complained a lot about aches and pains.

Police agreed, once the crowd was fed, most of them dropped out to rub their corns and bunions and went home.

President Bush said he had no plans to expel Norwegians or Ireland's fine citizenry, but doesn't know about the Finlanders yet.

9 comments:

MargeinMI said...

I'm curious what they were fed to revive them. Perhaps something cooked in a cassarole with cream of mushroom soup as an ingredient, or lime jello with carrot shavings? Them's some good eats, by golly!

Just call me Shelly said...

you pretty much hit the nail on the head, except you forgot Rice Krispe treats. You got to try one of deese ya know.

Just call me Shelly said...

oneline,

Sorry to say they are the ones sleeping on the bank with an empty bottle of Schnops

jainphx

I'm not sure but a few grannys were caught exceeding their limit of government cheese

camojack said...

Whose flag were they waving, if any...that's what I'd like to know.

Just call me Shelly said...

I think most of these old cogers waved old glory

Just call me Shelly said...

kajun

Rightly so. I think some of them came from nort of St. Cloud where they listen to Polka music while they milk their cows.

Anonymous said...

I guess the difference would be that these folks have assimilated and Learned English (in a fashion). We are America/The Borg...You will be assimilated!! The whole melting pot concept hinges on adapting to the nation you have chosen not pasting your whole culture on like an addition to a montage.

A contractor hired by our maintenance department was late this morning but his workers showed up on time and tried to get in the plant. When I came out the gaurd was yelling at them LOUDLY and S L O W L Y that they had to wait for the bossman. I bailed him out and asked "Que donde esta tus jeffe?" three jabbering answers too quick to follow. I just pointed at my watch and said "no jeffe -no trabajo" (no boss no work-I hope)I am sure my Mexican sounded silly to them but what do they expect in middle America.

Deus est Semper Fidelis

Barb said...

MargeinMI, If it is hunks of stuff ,covered with cream of mushrooms soup it is a "hotdish" I sadly made the mistake of calling it a cassarole....once.I asked for a 'capy' of the recipe and took some of the hotdish home in a 'beg'.Stopped at the 'bubbler ' and got a drink on the way.

Just call me Shelly said...

Barb

Be careful of what you ask for